Thursday, September 23, 2010

allegiance

Throughout my day today, I have heard the word allegiance repeatedly. I do not think this was by accident or coincidence either. God places people, books, places and many other things in our life for certain reasons. He uses them as a tool to deliver His message. I read it in a book I'm reading by Shane Claiborne. He was talking about how we pledge allegiance to the flag. God is all over the government because without Him, nothing would be here. We should pledge allegiance to our Savior. The one who died on a cross for OUR sins. Wow, that totally broke me. Why haven't I pledged complete allegiance? Complete trust? What is wrong with me?

I also heard the word tonight at CRU. The second I heard it, I knew God was trying to get my attention. I have been praying God makes things completely aware to me by repetition. He's totally answering that prayer. So I pondered over it for a bit and then it left my mind. I went on doing what I wanted to do. But once again, I was completely reminded of allegiance on my way home from a friends house tonight. I live right behind the International Building on campus at WKU. I saw all the flags and allegiance reentered my mind. Unable to get it off my mind I went straight to my computer and googled the definition. This is what I found from dictionary.com

Allegiance: : devotion or loyalty to a person, group, or cause

Our Savior desires loyalty from us. So what does it mean to be loyal?

Loyal: unswerving in allegiance: as
a : faithful in allegiance to one's lawful sovereign or government
b : faithful to a private person to whom fidelity is due
c : faithful to a cause, ideal, custom, institution, or product

1 Chronicles 29:18 says
"O LORD, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you."

In a sense Christ IS our government. We follow his laws, listen to Him, and seek His guidance. He is IT.

Allegiance, loyalty, and faith all go hand in hand. Christ desires us to have each of those for Him. So why don't we? What is holding us back?


Lord, teach us how to be loyal to you. Break us from what keeps us from complete loyalty and allegiance to you. Bring us to our knees. We pledge allegiance to You Father. You are precious. We love you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment